Thursday, January 14, 2010

The tent at the end of the street




So yesterday morning I went out to walk the dogs and they'd put up a tent at the end of the street. I'm not talking pup tent, I'm talking wedding tent (which is in fact what we think it is). It has at least 6 air conditioning units (although I currently have none on in my house). It has silk curtains, oriental carpets, and lots 'o furniture. (Please see the picture of the interior and note the many tissue boxes on each table--they are seriously tissue happy in the Middle East. I'm not sure what that's about). Now Abu Dhabi is not as large as Paris, but I do live in a city and my street is fairly well-travelled. There's a school with it's daily mob at pick up and drop off AND a restaurant. The tent takes up two and 1/3 lanes of the street leaving just 2/3 of a lane for drivers. Now that, as they say in Panama, takes cojones. But what can you do?? (It must be said that the blocks are so big here that to go the other way is fairly long).
Anyway tonight we're going to sneak down there and check out the action...

1 comment: